Mac
(Birding Moderator)
12/17/15 07:21 PM
Re: Reelfoot Lake advice/pointers

Well, it was a hunting trip for the books, fellas.

We hooked up with a guide from the net, and he arranged two days of guided hunting on Reelfoot.

Tuesday we went out with a guide and two helpers. The six of us shot 29 ducks, 21 mallets, the rest gaddies. Yesterday 5 of us shot just 10, 8 of which were mallets.

I've not hunted as many as some on here, but I have to say the hunting was unlike anywhere else. The cypress timber around and in the lake was unique. The ducks flew at stratospheric heights, sailing in off the river or from the MO boot hill. Gullets were full of rice...

The calling was the most impressive I have ever witnessed. Flocks from 400 yards or higher would often respond to the highballing calls, that literally made my ears ring it was incredibly loud! But dammed if it didn't work!!! Those hands called as loudly as their lungs would allow. Nearly non-stop sometimes for 2-3 minutes, until the birds circled into range.

It was one heck of a good time. Great calling, comfortable mega-blinds and setups, hot-cooked grub in the blind, fine dog work from a Lab pup, Quake, just 9-months old.

It took 1hr. 32 min. to get there, and 1 hr. 50 min. to get home. Talk about getting spoiled! Boss picked up the tab for guides and rooms, plus the travel as a Christmas present to his son and I. We picked up the guide tips, meals, ammo, etc. I'll never forget the experience and his generosity.

In addition, I found some worthwhile comments from the TN Refuge website posters. I guess I thought the Duck Gods on here would have had more to share about Reelfoot.

I'll get around to posting some pics of the trip shortly.

Contact Us Return to Main Page

UBB.threads™ 6.5